- The guest of honour at the first ever awards (March 21, 1954 at the Metro theatre, Mumbai) was to be Gregory Peck. He couldn't make it--his flight from Colombo, where he was on location for Purple Plain, was delayed. But he did attend the banquet that followed at the Willingdon Sports Club.
- At first, the awards were called Clares after Clare Mendonca, the Times of India film critic who died the year of the first awards, 1954. However, the name didn't stick.
- At the first awards function, only 5 awards were presented with Do Bigha Zameen winning the award for the best film while Bimal Roy carried off the statuette for Best Director for the same film. Dilip Kumar won the first of many awards for his performance in Daag, while Meena Kumari won hers for Baiju Bawra. Best Music Director went to Naushad for Baiju Bawra.
- Lata Mangeshkar refused to accept her first Filmfare award because the Filmfare statuette was designed in the shape of a woman and the woman had no clothes on. So Lataji had reservations in accepting that nude statuette. Finally the award had to be wrapped with a handkerchief to be granted to Lataji.
- In 1962 Shammi Kapoor was expecting an award for his performance in Professor but was quite disappointed when he lost it to Ashok Kumar who won it for Rakhee. Shammi Kapoor subsequently received a letter from Ashok Kumar where Dadamuni stated that he knew how one felt to not win an award and added that he felt Kapoor deserved the award. Dadamuni's generous and magnanimous thoughts brought back a smile on Shammi Kapoor's face.
- In 1969 Sunil Dutt who lost it to Dilip Kumar in the Best Actor category organized a party for the thespian after the awards function. This started the trend of post-award parties.
- Vyajayantimala didn't accept the award for Devdas in the Best Supporting Actress category because she thought she was the lead actress of the film and not Suchitra Sen
- Also Pran refused to accept the award in the Best Supporting Actor category for the film Beimaan but his reason was different. He thought that the background score of Pakeezah was much better than the background score of Beimaan. But Shankar-Jaikishen won the award for Beimaan.
- In 1975 Yash Chopra's Deewaar swept all the awards except for the lead actor Amitabh Bachchan.
- Also surprisingly the biggest blockbuster hit Sholay won only one Filmfare Award in 1975 and that too for Best Editing.
- In the 1981 Filmfare Awards, Kishore Kumar was supposed to sing only 2 songs for the event. But he was so involved in the performance that he sang continuously for almost one hour. Accompanying him on the stage was his brother Ashok Kumar and son Amit Kumar. And later Kishore Kumar instead of singing his award winning song crooned Mohammed Rafi's song.
- Vani Ganpathi and Kamal Haasan got married on the day of the 25th Filmfare Awards. And they made a spectacular entry with their garlands still around their necks. That year Vinod Mehra also postponed his honeymoon with wife Meena Broaca to attend the function. Both marriages did not survive.
- Choreographer B. Sohanlal who was the president of the choreographer's association consistently appealed to the Filmfare to have an award for Best choreography. But his plea was answered only in 1988 when the Best Choreography Award was conceived. And the first choreography award was won by Sohanlal's disciple Saroj Khan for the Ek Do Teen number from Tezaab.
- The Doordarshan had an objection with Amitabh Bachchan's performance on the Jumma Chumma number on the Filmfare Awards event as the movie Hum had not yet been released by then and the song remained uncensored. The channel threatened to sue Filmfare for this but the matter subsequently dissolved.
- In 1991 Dimple Kapadia gave a special award to husband Rajesh Khanna for completing 26 years in the film industry. In the same year Gulzar gave an award to his ex-wife Rakhee in the Best Supporting Actress category for Ram Lakhan. And while handing over the trophy Gulzar in a very mischievous fashion said to Rakhee “Aji Sunti Ho”.
- As the Filmfare award function of 1991 came to an end, the entire mob of audience ran towards Amitabh Bachchan as he stood up near the pool. The pool was covered with planks and one of the planks cracked. At that moment Amitabh Bachchan did a real action hero stint by moving forward and picked up Rakhee who was very close to the cracked plank thereby averting a mishap.
- After winning numerous awards singer Lata Mangeshkar voluntary ousted herself from the Filmfare awards nominations so that fresh talents can get a chance. And after decades, in 1995, Lata Mangeshkar accepted the Best Playback Singer award for Hum Aapke Hai Koun! once again on popular demand.
for more such trivia visit above link. it will be updated shortly. ;)