Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Martina Hingis wins against Flavia Penetta at German Open 06

Martina Hingis won against Flavia Penetta 7-5, 6-3 in round one of the Qatar Telecom German Open.

"I'm glad I got some revenge,'' Hingis said. "Maybe I was too nervous , I was too excited at every match. This time I adjusted my tactics.''

Penetta had beaten Hingis in their last encounter in the semis of the Gold Coast Open in January during Martina's comeback tournament.

Hingis was German Open champion in 1999.

Of the 3000 odd people there to support her, Hingis said, "It's an incredible feeling to see all these people here".

"I quickly got to 4-1 but she is very good when she is behind and her game starts to come through," Martina said of the match.

"It's a great feeling to be standing here again on this court. Today I am happy that I was able to gain revenge," she said.

Martina next plays against German Julia Schruff on Wednesday. Martina said, "I have never played against her. She is very strong and I think it will be a similar match to today."

No comments: