Sunday, December 31, 2006

Hingis wins at A.O. Hardcourt Championship

Hingis comes full circle with win, BBC Article with some Martina quotes

Martina Hingis capped off her first full year back on the WTA circuit with an easy win in the Australian Women's Hardcourt Championships first round.
The Swiss star, who began her comeback at the event in 2005, eased past Austria's Sybille Bammer 6-0 6-2.

She said: "Now I'm number seven in the world, I've won a couple of events and played some great matches so I know I can handle myself out there.

"I'll have a day off and I can probably toast the win at midnight."

Hingis added: "I was very focused and didn't have ups and downs. That was quite surprising after a six week break."

The 26-year-old, now faces a second-round clash with either Russian Elena Bovina or Australian wildcard Nicole Pratt.

She made the semi-finals in her comeback at the Gold Coast tournament despite it being her first tournament for three years.

Hingis announced this week that she is engaged to marry Czech tennis player Radek Stepanek.

* Australian wildcard Sophie Ferguson caused the first upset of the event when she beat eighth seed Ai Sugiyama of Japan 7-6 (7-4) 6-4.


Technorati Tags: hingis , martina hingis , Australian Hardcourt Championship , Gold Coast Tennis , mondial womens open , Sybille Bammer , hingis in australia

No comments: